Responsible Tourism Certificate Course
Responsible Tourism Certificate Course is a 3-months comprehensive overview course on eco-friendly and sustainable tourism. Learners will be instructed in the development of responsible and sustainable tourism practices and enterprises in and around the Himalayan and Trans-Himalayan Region. They will learn to tackle the problems that arise from mass tourism, and receive guidance in inclusive tourism – bringing the tourism economy to rural areas that are remote and haven’t benefited from the travel economy yet.
The main aim of this course is to understand the negative impacts of the conventional tourism industry and bring about changes through sustainable, responsible innovative solutions. The course is designed to give a clear insight into the consequences of tourism planning and policymaking on the environment, society, culture and the economy. During the program, students are offered both theoretical and practical knowledge.
- Accepting applications
- Video Interview: 15th March to 25th March 2021
Who is it for?
It is designed for individuals interested in tourism business start-ups in remote/rural areas, government or academic professionals interested or already working in the field of tourism.
Prerequisites and Eligibility
Although this course is open to all, prior general graduate-level study or relevant experience in tourism is preferred. The certification course is open to students between the ages of 21 and 30. However, in certain cases, there can be a special consideration if you feel that this course is highly relevant for you. Knowledge of Arithmetic till matriculation level & basic computer skills are mandatory. Good English writing & reading skills are appreciated.
- Critique of tourism as a business and its impact on communities & environment
- Hospitality Management – Homestays
- Online Marketing & Building Experiences
- Event management & Logistics
- Travel Agency Management
- Business Planning
- Understanding the nature of responsible and eco-tourism.
- Set up & run farmstays/homestays
- Plan and conduct eco-friendly tours
- Set up and run the Mountaineering Institute
- Sensitivity towards local communities and environmental impact of travel economy
The students will receive hands-on experiential learning through working on the Live Labs set up by HIAL. This includes setting up and operating Farmstays, designing and conducting eco-friendly itineraries & treks, setting up and running the mountaineering Institute, and so on. Cultural and educational events will be organised during the course which the students will be encouraged to curate and conduct. Upon completing this course, learners will be ready to start rural tourism projects in their mountain regions and places of interest.
The lecture and field trips are mandatory for all the participants enrolled.
HIAL does not charge students for professional fees. The course fees compensates for operational costs incurred in the course.
The fees has two components:
- Course fees : INR 12,000
- Dorming Cost: INR 6000/month (payout to farm-stay host)
1. Assignments: 3-4 written assignments including Reflective Essays
2. Field responsibility:
- Experiential Learning Facilitator (ELF) Score (25%)
- Peer evaluation (20%)
- Final Project/Presentation (20%)
3. Attendance: 90 percent attendance is mandatory.
Students shall be awarded the certificate only on the completion of the course with required marks.
For queries or further information, write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org